Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Big Batch Pie Crust --Freezer Recipe--





Big Batch Pie Crust
--Freezer Recipe--

I set out to make and photograph this recipe of Big Batch Pie Crust several weeks months ago.  I purchased the four simple ingredients:  a 5-pound bag of Flour, a 3-pound can of Vegetable Shortening, Lemon-Lime Soda, and Salt (well, I already had the 2 Tablespoons Salt on hand).   And somehow, each time I actually got to it something the Lemon-Lime Soda was missing.
 
Gone.  Vanished.  Evaporated.  Only empty cans remained.
 
The culprits seem to be our 12-year-old Lawn Mowing Crew--a can of Soda a week is their only pay.  And they are quite, quite tired of Cola.
 
So last week they were placed on restriction of  Thou. Shalt. Not. Touch.
I'm going to remove the ban this afternoon.
 
This recipe from my sister is a rather unique Pie Crust recipe on several fronts:
It calls for two 12-ounce cans of Lemon-Lime Soda (sparkling mineral water also works);
It makes 18-20 Pie Crusts;
and most importantly in my mind, It is Easy.  20 minutes to 20 Pie Crusts?  You betcha!
 
What could be better?  I know that I, for one, Do. Not. Like the taste of store-bought pie crust and often drag my feet at making just a single crust.  Keep these in the freezer and you're good to go in just the time it takes to thaw (and in the microwave, it's less than 30 seconds total).
 
Win-Win!
 
(And if by chance you really don't want need 18 Pie Crusts in your freezer, try my single-pie recipe right here .)
 
 
"For God,
Who commanded the Light to shine out of darkness,
hath shone in our hearts, to give the
Light of the Knowledge of the Glory of God
in the face of Jesus Christ."
II Corinthians 4:6
 
"Then spoke Jesus again unto them, saying,
I am the Light of the world;
he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness,
but shall have the Light of Life."
John 8:12
 
 
 
You will need:
1  5-pound  bag Flour
1  3-pound  can  Vegetable Shortening
2  12-ounce  cans  Lemon-Lime Soda  (sparkling mineral water works well, too)
2  Tablespoons  Salt
 
and
18 to 20 squares Parchment Paper or Waxed Paper
2 to 3  1-gallon ziptop Freezer Bags
a Very Large Bowl
a Spatula, Large Spoon, or Pastry Blender
 
 
Prepare your Parchment Paper before beginning; I like to use 12"x12" squares.  Your hands will be very messy by the end, and you'll be glad you won't have to stop and clean up before packaging the Pie Crusts.
 
Begin by stirring together the Flour and Salt.  Add in the Vegetable Shortening, cutting it into the Flour until you have clumps the size of small Walnuts:
 

 
Pour in one can of Soda and stir lightly until it is combined:
 
 
Add in the final can of Soda and stir.  At this point you will realize that you need to continue gently mixing with your hands until the dough comes together in a large mass:
 
 
Gently begin to portion your Pie Crust dough.  I just eyeball the amount, but if you want to weigh it, I've found an 8- to 9-ounce portion works well.
 


 
I prefer to make my batch into 18 portions and know that each portion won't be too skimpy for a large 9-inch pie pan.  If you are really good at rolling your dough thinly or use a smaller pie pan you can always make this recipe into 20 portions.  When you're done your table will look something like this:
 
 
Package in freezer bags and label and you're done!
 
 
 
To Use Frozen Pie Crust:
Thaw on counter for 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on how warm your kitchen is
--OR--
Microwave for 10-12 seconds per side.
 
Roll out and use as desired.  Easy as Pie!
 
And here's a tip to help keep your pre-baked Pie Shells from shrinking:
Let them set on your counter, all formed in your pan and ready for baking, for about 30-45 minutes before you bake them.  My Grandma J taught me this tip and it really helps.
 
And here's another tip from my own newlywed experience:
Don't grease your pie plates.
 
And speaking of Pie, have you seen this new cookbook that just released in early October?  I haven't had a chance to look through a copy yet, but it's on my Birthday/Christmas list.  (hint, hint)  You can buy it here: Me, Myself, and Pie by Sherry Gore and you can read Sherry's blog here. 
 
 


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Plans to make this today!! Thank you!!