Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Maple Nut Granola

 
Maple Nut Granola
 
In a large bowl combine:
4  Cups  Old-Fashioned Oats
1  Cup  Chopped Pecans -or- Walnuts
1  Cup  Chopped Cashews
1/3  Cup  Toasted Sesame Seeds -or- Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)  (buy the Sesame Seeds in the Asian section--already toasted and cheaper!)
1  Cup  Dried Cranberries  -or-  Dried Cherries, Blueberries or Raisins, or a combo of them all!
1  Cup  3/8-inch Diced Dried Apricots
2  teaspoons  Cinnamon
1  teaspoon  Salt
 
And toss well.
 
In a separate bowl mix:
1/2  Cup  Maple Syrup
1/3  Cup  Honey
1/4  Cup  Melted Butter
 
Pour over the Oat mixture and stir to combine.  Spread Granola on two large rimmed baking trays.  Bake at 300* for 30 minutes or until Oats are toasty brown, stirring twice to cook evenly.  Cool one hour.  Transfer to airtight containers for storage.  Makes 8 cups.
 
This is super yummy--you will want to double the recipe!  Stir it into yogurt, sprinkle over fresh fruit, use it as a topping for baked apples, or my favorite way, cook with an equal amount of water as for oatmeal and serve as a hot cereal.  (It's so good this way that I've been having it for breakfast AND lunch!)
 
 
"Show me Thy ways, O LORD; teach me Thy paths.
Lead me in Thy truth, and teach me;
for Thou art the God of my salvation;
on Thee do I wait all the day."
Psalm 25: 4 & 5
 


 
(Don't you wish this was your breakfast?)

 
Adapted from Cheap Thrills Cuisine by Lombardo & Bui
 
 

No comments: