Wednesday, June 20, 2012

of Blueberries, Blueberry Bluff, and Grandmothers

This is going to be a rather rambling post but I promise it will end sweetly.

Last week my Sister Kristi and I roused our families early, left our homes around 7:15 and drove out to pick blueberries at Blueberry Bluff.  Our goal was 100 pounds of Blueberries.  After three hours we had picked 10 buckets for a whopping 105 pounds!  I can't say enough good about the quality and the quantity of the Blueberries--they were luscious!  Big, fat, juicy...







Of course, not ALL the berries are as big as those in my hand and A's hand--most were like those in J's hand.  And these were Far Superior to the u-pick farm we were at the end of May--that time it took an hour to pick just 7 pounds.

Last Sunday, Father's Day, we has my family in for Father's Day (of course) and June birthdays.  My Grandparents were here, too.  While the men were outside BBQ-ing the hamburgers, my Grandma J mentioned that she had been wanting to make a Blueberry Pie the prior week and remembered that last summer she had given me her cookbook with the recipe in it but that was ok, she remembered the recipe just fine.  She did want to double-check with her cookbook to be sure--and no, she hadn't forgotten anything.  That is the sign of a truly good cook!  Grandma didn't want her cookbook back so I asked her to go through it and mark some of her favorites.  (You can read about her cookbook here).

Beside the recipe for Blueberry Pie she wrote "My favorite"

 I made this pie tonight and I believe this old recipe is my new favorite, too!  Enjoy!


 


Blueberry Pie

If you are using frozen Blueberries, do not thaw completely.  Place them in a single-layer on a rimmed cookie sheet and set them in a warm place while you make your pie crust--I set mine out on the picnic table.  They should be softened but not soggy or runny when you go to use them.

Preheat oven to 425*.

Make pastry for a double-crust pie.  You can find my Pie Crust recipe here.
Prepare a 9-inch pie plate with a bottom crust.

Mix together:
3/4  Cup  Sugar
5  Tablespoons  Flour
1/2  teaspoon  Cinnamon
1  teaspoon Lemon Zest
1  Tablespoon  Lemon Juice
4 to 5  Cups  Blueberries   
and pour into the pastry-lined pan

Dot with 1-1/2  Tablespoons Butter
and cover with top crust, fluting edges to seal. 
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until crust is nicely browned and juice begins to bubble though slits it crust.  Serve slightly warm, not hot.  Serves 8.


This white bowl is a favorite of mine from my Grandma R.--she made it!

Some more of my favorites--measuring spoons from my Mother last Christmas!
I just love pretty, functional tools!



If you don't have one of these little gadgets--you need one!
I think this Zester spends more time in the dishwasher than it does in the drawer.
Yes, I use it that much!

Ready for the oven
{Those are supposed to be Blueberries on top}



This recipe was from a circa 1940s Betty Crocker Cookbook.

3 comments:

deborah said...

I think that recipe is very similar to the one I use that my Mom used and I believe it came from a Betty Crocker cookbook.

Your blueberries on the pie crust look sp pretty on the baked pie!

I agree-I like pretty functional tools too!

I enjoy baking, but I am definitely not up to your level. I will confess I do not own a zester and I usually just ignore recipes when they call for lemon zest.

Those blueberries are awesome. I am jealous of all your great fruit! :) Kansas just doesn't offer the options!

Gina said...

Your photography on with this recipe just made me drool! And so did lots of your others recipes too!
Gina

Anonymous said...

My mom has one of those Betty Crocker cookbooks and it was falling apart before I married 14 years ago! She found a newer printing and got one for all five of her daughters. It is so fun to have! And don't forget the blueberry rolls recipe! ;) -Robin