Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Flambe' Tri-Tip Pave' with Grilled Caprese Salad

Ok, first about that delicious-sounding Flambe' Tri-Tip Pave'.  Here's how I caught the Tri-Tip on fire and dropped it on the pavement:

A week ago was my husband's birthday.  We were camping and somehow pie-iron pizzas and blueberry pies, while fun camping food, just weren't quite the Birthday Dinner I had envisioned for the King of this Castle.  So last night I thought we'd have a belated birthday dinner:  BBQ Tri-Tip, Grilled Zucchini, Grilled Caprese Salad and Home-made Peach Ice Cream.

I started by making the Ice Cream.  However, I had misplaced my recipe.  So I called my friend, three time-zones away, and asked her for it.  She kindly texted me the recipe.  I had another question, called and left a message, and proceeded to make the Ice Cream.

Then I prepped the charcoal grill and got the Tri-Tip on it; started the Ice Cream freezer and prepped the Zucchini and the Caprese Salad.

Well, the Tri-Tip was done now.  I went out to take it off the grill with the bbq tongs.  You know how you're not supposed to use a fork to lift the meat because the juices might run out?  Well, I was being a good girl and using tongs for this very reason.

Only when I lifted the grill lid, the fatty layer on the meat flared up and caught fire.  (That's the Flambe' part.)

And the meat was too thick to grasp securely with the tongs.  This is when it hit the pavement.  (That's the Pave' part).

Oh and of course, Elder Daughter was freaking out because here was our roast, in flames, on the ground, with small bits of flaming fat that had fallen off sprinked about, cheerily burning on the cement.

And the phone was ringing.  My friend, three time-zones away, was returning my call about the Ice Cream.

I think I'll just draw a curtain over this hectic scene...




Here's how I made the Grilled Caprese Salad:

You'll need
Tomatoes
Mozzarella
Black Pepper
Balsamic Reduction
Basil

I sliced my Tomatos thickly, about 1/4-inch thick, maybe slightly more, and topped each slice with a 1/4-inch thick piece of Fresh Mozzarella and sprinkled it all with Black Pepper.


Then I placed the Tomatoes on the grill.  If you use Fresh Mozzarella, place each slice over the hotter portion of the grill and watch carefully.  If you use traditional Mozzarella, place it over the cooler portion of the grill.  Fresh Mozzarella has a higher water content and by placing it over the hotter temperature you will be able to evaporate off the water.  Just watch it closely.  The idea is to just gently melt the cheese.





When the Mozzarella is soft and gently melted, remove from grill and place on the serving platter.  Drizzle with a Balsamic Reduction and top with Basil (fresh is best, of course).  I followed The Pioneer Woman's suggestion for making the reduction, which is to simply boil 2 Cups Balsamic Vinegar until you have 1 Cup left.  I did this and have been storing it uncovered in the fridge, which has allowed it to continue to thicken slightly. 

Warm Tomatoes, gooey Mozzarella, cool Balsamic, crisp Basil....
MMM-mmm...

And you can skip using tongs on the Tri-Tip.  Unless you want Flambe' Tri-Tip Pave'.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Laughing with you! Hope your tri-tip was incredibly yummy anyway!Sorry to have interrupted your special supper last night. :(

Danita said...

Smile:)....Glad the ice cream turned out!:) Wish I could have been there to get in on the cooking lesson.....at least it was only the pavement that caught on fire!

Janice said...

Ohhhhh chickens, does that caprese salad look goooooooood! Thank you for humouring us with the blog post :)