Saturday, February 25, 2012

Spring--This year and last year

Spring is  here!

A few snapshots from the yard to prove it:




Whenever I see Daffodils I always think of the verse
"Lift up your heads, O ye gates, and be ye lift up...
and the King of Glory shall come in!"
Psalm 24:7



The Flowering Pear tree is just beginning to blossom





Not too many Hellebores left;
the girls have picked most of them to brighten the table


My lone Narcissus


and three different varieties of Peaches--
it's fascinating how each variety has a different shape of blossom.






The Crab-Apple is just getting ready to pop open


And the Flowering Plum is in full bloom:





I just wanted to share these with you; spring this year has certainly been more enjoyable than my spring last year.  One year ago today I went into surgery in The City for melanoma and spent the following six weeks off my feet.  Needless to say, I didn't get much opportunity to enjoy the blossoms.

Last week I had my one-year check (what a milestone!) and was told to continue on "maintenance" for the next year--Praise the Lord!  We made a fun day of it in The City:  my children happened to have the day off school, so my sister-in-law (who home schools) and I took the children for a Field Trip!  I don't think I need to tell you that it was an Adventure: 2 Moms, 7 children, and a Suburban in The City.  We hit the hands-on exploring Museum for the morning, The Bridge at lunchtime, the doctor's office in the late afternoon, and then Rainforest Cafe for dinner.  I'm sure if you only ask, the children would be delighted to tell you all about the incredibly steep road (45*-angle, three times, anyone?) and the unplanned trip across The Bridge (wrong lane, my fault) and our other unplanned excitements.  "And a Good Time was had by all."

Here on the home-front, I gave myself a little "gift" to mark the one-year anniversary of surgery and the All-Clear-For-A-Year diagnosis:  I painted in my kitchen.  It had wallpaper in it when we moved in.  It was not my taste.  It looked like this:



Delightfully out-dated?  Yep.

About 3 years ago I stripped it off, scrubbed the wallboard, and, um, never did anything more.  Last summer, then, my Mom helped me paint the walls.  Nothing fancy, just white, like this:



And I've been "stuck," inspiration-wise, since then.  (I am. not. a. decorator.)  Then I came across this tutorial from Jones Design Company and thought ah-ha! I can do it!  So, I did, and now that blank wall looks like this:



Of course, most of the time the play set looks like this:


I cleaned it up for you...



If you want more info beyond the tutorial at Jones Design Company, or want to know how to make your own 'white board' from a Goodwill poster frame, just ask.  I'd be glad to help out as best I can.

"Lift up your heads, O ye gates; and be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of Glory shall come in.  Who is this King of Glory?  The LORD mighty in battle.  Lift up your heads, O ye gates; even lift them up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of Glory shall come in.  Who is this King of Glory?  The LORD of hosts, he is the King of Glory!"  Psalms 24:7-10

May your Spring be Blessed as we await the Return of the King!


 

5 comments:

Sew a Fine Seam said...

Oh how I wish spring came this early here. Wishing Emerson had a scroll plant in cali.
Love your wall - that is really really cute!

Unknown said...

So glad 2012 is going so much better for you my dear friend! The picture flowers are stunning =)

Danita said...

Praising God for your good report! Cute kitchen update!

deborah said...

Yay for good reports and yay for updated kitchens! Happy, happy for you!

Arlene said...

Carolyn, Finding your blog via Pinterest was something I needed today... pictures of "Home Sweet Home"! Thank you for sharing and keep up the inspiration. Blogs def. inspire me!
Arlene