Thursday, February 7, 2013

Baked Custard


Baked Custard
4  Cups  Milk
6  Eggs, slightly beaten
1/2  Cup  Sugar
1/2  teaspoon  Salt
2  teaspoons  Vanilla
Ground Nutmeg, if desired

Boiling Water

Preheat oven to 325*.
In a 2-quart oven-safe dish, scald the Milk in the microwave, about 6 minutes on HIGH; set aside to cool slightly.  In a small bowl, whisk together Eggs, Sugar, Salt, and Vanilla; slowly stir into Milk and sprinkle with NutmegBake for 60 minutes in a 2-quart pan which is setting in a shallow pan filled with Boiling Water--I like to use a pie plate.
Serve warm (our favorite!) or chilled.  Serves about 6.

"Be ye therefore followers of God,
as dear children;
And walk in love,
as Christ also hath loved us,
and hath given Himself for us..."
Ephesians 5:1 & 2

Custard is such a homey, comforting dessert that is not too sweet.  I can remember many nights Mom fixing Custard to go with with Classic Beef Stew in a certain cream-colored bowl with a brown rim which she only used for Custard. 

I have to laugh as I think back on this, though:  you see, both T and I grew up having Custard rather often.  After we married I rarely made Custard at all (one recipe was too much), and consequently forgot about it.  Then one winter night about two years ago I was hungry for Custard and made some.

The children hated it.  Now, ironically, it is one of their favorite desserts--explain that one to me! 

And this is what happens when Daughter says, "Mommy, will you take a picture of me?" and tips the plate just a wee bit!




And remember:  "Teeth don't work on Custard." 

1 comment:

RotzFam said...

Yum! This looks delicious! I may have to try making it this afternoon. You have a very "yummy" blog, Carolyn. :) Thanks for sharing!

Blessings,
Chelsea